Now that I’ve discovered the technique of sifting most of the bran out of Richardson Farms locally grown, fresh-ground whole wheat flour (see Texas Bread) I’m really on a roll. Or a cookie. Here’s a crunchy, buttery Texas cookie filled with local pecans. Easier than pie, a batch bakes up ’bout as fast as you can eat ’em. Tell your sweet tooth to go local!
TEXAS WHEAT AND PECAN COOKIES makes about 3 dozen
- 8 ounces (about 1 2/3 cup) sifted Richardson Farms flour (most of the bran removed)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, sieved. I use Rumford, aluminum-free and non-GMO.
- ½ teaspoon baking soda, sieved
- 6 ounces local or organic butter, cut up. Organic Valley‘s my standard. Click for a coupon. Look for Lucky Layla (that’ll make a very rich cookie!) at Central Market or Way Back When at the Sunset Valley Farmers Market and Elevated Artisanal at the Austin Farmers Market.
- zest of one well-scrubbed Texas orange (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon salt. I use Real Salt.
- 152 grams (¾ cup) organic brown sugar. CM’s brand sells for $2.99 for a 1½ pound bag.
- 150 grams (¾ cup) organic sugar. Costco has cornered the market on Wholesome Sweeteners 10-pound bag for only $7.77. Otherwise, CM’s 2-pound bag still sells for $2.99.
- 1 local egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. I like Nielsen-Massey.
- 1 Tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar. Whole Foods 365 brand usually sells for the best price. I buy the big ole quart bottle.
- 2 2/3 cups Texas pecan pieces. At the downtown farmers market, Star J Farms sells a 3-pound bag of sweet nuts for $22.
Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cream the butter with the next four ingredients (including optional zest) until well blended. Beat in the egg, vanilla and vinegar. Stir in the flour mixture and pecans until well-mixed.
Drop dough by 2-Tablespoonfuls (a spring-loaded scoop works great here) onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet (I use If You Care brand), spacing cookies about 3″ apart. Bake for about 14 minutes, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking, until browning around the edges. Cool on pans on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Place cookies on racks to finish cooling.