Love Creek Orchards is back with their delicious Texas apples. Mollies, Jonathans, Crispins, Jonagolds, and Galas…………Try them all and pick your favorites (for now). The timing is just right for apple cake with Toasted Pecan Cajeta Ice Cream.
For prepping your apples, set out a bowl of water fortified with a shot of lemon juice. As you peel, quarter and core your fruit, drop the pieces into the water. Dry off the pieces a bit before shredding.
APPLE CAKE makes one 9” round cake
- 480-510 grams (1 ½ to almost 2 cups) medium to medium-fine shredded apple. Texas apples, of course. The crispins are perfect here because they’re large and tart. But you can use the varieties that you have.
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 121 grams (1 cup) organic all-purpose flour. Whole Foods bulk is the best deal right now @ 99¢ a pound. Bring your own bag.
- 60 grams (scant ½ cup) organic white whole wheat flour. WF sells King Arthur brand in the 5# bag.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup oil. Use an organic neutral-flavored oil or nut oil. Organic coconut oil is acceptable, but yields a slightly heavier texture.
- 2 Tablespoons yogurt, preferably local or organic. Try homemade!
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly. Organic Valley is my top choice here. Click the link to get a $1 OFF coupon.
- ½ cup sugar, organic, please. Available in bulk at WF and Central Market.
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar. CM’s organic brand is the best buy.
- 1 egg, local of course
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Homemade vanilla bourbon—I like Maker’s Mark—is a fine choice.
- ½ cup chopped toasted Texas pecans
You’ll need a preheated 350º oven to bake this cake and the toaster oven works just fine. You may need to place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the pan after about 15 minutes or so to prevent overbrowning. In the big oven you shouldn’t have to worry about that. Grease up and flour your 9” X 2” round cake pan.
Toss the shredded apples with the lemon juice. Combine the dry ingredients, through the ginger, in a bowl and whisk together. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the remaining ingredients, except the pecans. Whisk the apples into the wet ingredients, then pour on the dry ingredients and pecans and stir until well combined. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake until cake tests done, about 35 minutes. A skewer or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean or with moist crumbs attached, but not raw batter. Cool in the pan on a rack and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Don’t forget the ice cream!